Friday, August 20, 2010

Day 54 Fri 20/08 - Forced to Stay another Day in Luang Prabang

Today Distance : 21.3 km      Total : 3073.6 km
Today Weather : 26 - 33C     Sunny and Hot in the Day
Today Spend : 237000k          Total : 1511000k

Made a big silly mistake today of trying to replace a new Shimano SLR rear derailleur to my worn out Sram F7. The bicycle shop near my guest house has some high end derailleurs, and the half past 6 owner told me its ok to replace and is willing to offer a discount from 450000k to 300000k,plus a workmanship of 30000k. I thought its a good deal and agreed. The fixing is no problem, but when comes to tuning, they are nuts that includes ME as well. Excuses of : your grid shifter no good lah; your gear bracket also worn out lah..etc..etc . They spent almost 2 hrs on tuning, seems to be better, unhappy though I paid and starts the ride. Hardly 8 km , I decided to turn back to Luang Prabang! No way I can continue to ride with this new derailleur especially telling when on a climb. If I don.t turn back and do something, I will be stuck!! Back to the same guest house for another day, with all the bags unloaded, I went back to the same shop asking for a refund and fix back the used derailleur. After much arguments, both parties agreed on a refund of 200000k. A good lesson on silly me costing 100000k!!!
Lao " mechanic "

Badly worn out derailleur ( sharp )

4 comments:

barramundi said...

Usually the cassettes, shifters and DR must be of same kind because the "click" ratio is tuned

ChrisW said...

Meng, Shimano and SRAM will never make compatible drivetrain parts with each others brand, Only the chains are compatible. Looks like only your pulleys (the 2 small plastic wheels are worn out, very sharp)

You might just need to change those 2 small wheels. Make sure you get proper 8 speed / 9 speed ones. There are 2 good bike shops in Vientiane that can help.

Thighland Meng said...

barramundi, A lesson well learnt.Thanks for the advice and comment.

Thighland Meng said...

chris, I am not going to Vientian. I hope this can last until chengdu.