Thursday, August 19, 2010

Day 51 Tue 17/08 - Song Cha Wild Camp to Nad Pang Hut Camp

Today Distance : 76.0 km     Total : 2984.4 km
Today Weather : 24-30C  Rain Day and Night
Time on Bike : $ hr  22 min
Ave Speed : 17.4 kmh    Max : 55.0 kmh
Ave Climb : 3%              Max ; 23%
Trip Altitude : 461 m       Max : 972 m
Today Spend : 57000k          Total : 1035000k

If not for the rain, I might be sleeping in a guest house in Luang Prabang, which is another 60 km from here. Today's ride started at 8.30am on a very misty morning up in an altitude of 1000m, on a descent to Pak Mong 450m, the rain soon started to pour and I was stranded for nearly 45 min, while waiting I bought some camp foods anticipating for another camping. The main route 13 is running parallel, alongside the Mekong river all the way to Luang Prabang, but there are hills to roll, by no mean flat! The Mekong river flowing in a valley of mountains, very muddist in colour in this rainny season,did not flood its banks,as the villages and the roads are in higher level. The many villages I passed, mainly have stalls selling daily stuffs like dried foods,toiletries,mineral water etc..but what lacking to me is  a good and appetising food stall, I like to have something hot/boiling/filling. Laos cooking is what I think next to worst, no tastes,no skills!!! Another heavy rain at km 42 interrupted the ride and wasted another 90 min under a house. Sensing the rain won't stop completely, so I ride on with my raincoat on. No way now I can hit Luang Prabang today! So I started to look for possible campsite. At 4 pm, about 1 km after the Nad Pang village, I spotted a nice bamboo hut with a 3 ft raise floor, with a back view of green paddy field. Campsite determined but not enough water, so I cycled back to the village to buy some water and foods before returning to the hut to camp. Happy that I had a roof with my tent under, at least I can sleep well tonight without having to worry whether it rains or not.
Very misty morning start
Still at a very high altitude of 1200m
First time I sighted horses here
Road down



Pregnant Hill ( I named it)
Mud water bridge
Road under repair
Constructing a landslide fencing
The "U" turn of a river stream

Drinks the mountain water
Pak Mong town
Rain shelter under the house
Cold man
Mekong river on the far side
My Hut Camp
With Bamboo raise floor
simple dinner  ( 1 can of sardin only)

4 comments:

ChrisW said...

What's the MTB handlebar for? is it a weapon ? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Nice camp site! Advantage cycling in SEA compared to Europe- u can camp anywhere!

pauline

Thighland Meng said...

chris,
Ur right chris,weapons for anythings get near esp dogs. Iit belongs to Brent when this handle bar cannot mount his bag. I had been carrying it since Penang.So far no victim yet.

Thighland Meng said...

Pauline, for you, why camp? 4-5 stars hotels,no problem. ha... ha..