Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day 38 Wed 04/08 - Fang to Mae Chan Homestay

Today Distance : 89.8 km    Total : 2359.3 km
Today Temp : 26 - 38C
Time on Bike : 5 hr  24 min
Ave Speed : 16.6 kmh         Max : 67.0 kmh
Ave Climb : 5 %                  Max : 17 %
Today Spend : 321 baht      Max : 18500 baht

Unlike yesterday,the weather is excellent,bright and sunny with the highest temp recorded 38c, but the heat in high altitude of 500 over meters, is very much comfortable than the lowland south.You can actually tell the difference when you did the washing.There are many hill tribes villagers like the Shan,Karen,Lahu,Yunnan etc.. working hard in the field of padi,papaya,corn,mango and oranges farms.Very scenic views of greenery of mountains all the way,but the climbs are hell lots of tough,the toughest so far I should say, but glad that I succeeded without pushing!! The highlight for today's ride is , I was treated to a Yunnan hill tribe funeral lunch, when I pumped into them with everybody looking and someone waving to me to join them. It is more like a cerebration than a funeral,with loud music and many tables of foods like sweet/sour fish,prawn balls deep fried in flour,fried chicken and roasted pork soup. I had a good mix around with them as most speaks mandarin. The final climb to the top is a police check point and the junction to a smaller road 1234 to Mae Salong,Mae Falung and Mae sai, but I was strongly advised by the police noy to take this road as he don't think I can make it with this funny bike.I respected his advice and partly because I too almost exhausted with the earlier climbs.So I headed straight downhill all the way to Mae Chan. A very small town couldn't find a place to stay. Always when you sometimes feel desperate, there is light somewhere to the rescue. A local cyclist Narong on his full cycling suit ready for an afternoon ride with his friend, saw me and offer a room in his tyre workshop to stay. His relative worker brought me to town in his scooter for dinner. I wander around in town and went internet. Narong came back from his ride was worried about me and went hunting for me in the whole town.Luckily he found me in the internet cafe,if not he was thinking of making a police report for missing person. What a wonderful and friendly people here!!

My morning breakfast in Fang

No Rose Chan here

Bright and Sunny

Tourist Information Board in Thaton

Approaching Tha Ton town

Cheap Mango stall ( 2 rm per kg)

I am not going to carry 3 ,finish 2 carry 1 ok!

Villagers working hard to plant the padi

Papaya Farm

I wonder why these women like to walk, can't they afford to own a bicycle?

My bike always attracts the locals.Don't break my handle pls?

Thanks to this Yunnan man for inviting me to a funeral lunch

What a typical Yunnan meals!

After a free lunch,now the start of a big climb

Refilling stop at midway

And finally the last puuuuuuuuuuuuuush.....

And the reward....great decent of 67 kmh

Mae Chan roundabout where the police station is

A corner of the town

Town temples

Foods stall

Narong with his bikes

Narong's tire workshop offer a room for me

3 comments:

ChrisW said...

That 17 % max climb must be before the police post / road block junction to Mae Salong. I know, I suffered there too.

Cheers,
Chris

Thighland Meng said...

chris, you are right, really "chiak bei liew". Thanks for your good recommedation.Any more good recommendation for Laos?

ChrisW said...

Too bad you missed Mae Salong, but the 16 kms straight up there to 1200 m asl is really steep. Lots of tea plantations and many Yunnanese some even Muslim (one masjid in town)

I have not cycled the route you are taking in Laos that is Route No 3 to Luang Namtha and to the Boten border into China. It's a long 200 kms to the big town of Luang Namtha, starting from Huay Xai (on the Mekong)

Usually this is 3 day ride. Home stays in Don Chai and Vieng Phouka, then Luang Namtha. Hopefully there wont be landslides during the rainy weather !

Check out this guy's blog of what is waiting for you,

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Frank2008Laos

Always carry food on you in Laos. Their baguettes/french loaf with salad and luncheon meat is better than noodle soup every day. Laos is also a bit more expensive than Thailand, as they import all their goods. Good to stock up rations on the Thai side before crossing the Mekong.

The shops will accept Thai bhat / US $ then give you change in their Lao Kip. And you lose a bit here and there, better to change some Lao Kip.

Hope this helps and have a good ride !