Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day 39 Thu 05/08 - Mae Chan Homestay to Mae Sai ( the most northern of Thailand)

Today Distance : 44.6 km     Total : 2403.9 km
Today Temp : 26 - 36C
Time on Bike : 2 hr  48 min
Ave Speed : 15.9 kmh       Max : 31.0 kmh
Ave Climb : 2 %                Max : 7 %
Trip Altitude : 130 m         Max :487 m
Today Spend :400 baht     Total : 18900 baht

The most relaxing ride so far, knowing that Mae Sai,the most northern tip of Thailand,is only 45 km away. I took my time to have a chat with Narong whom I didn't had much opportunity to talk to last night. He make coffee and green tea with a packet of resin bread as my breakfast.Our conversation in broken Hock Kien about our cycling experiences, he shown me his off road mtb trophy during the King's cup championship many years ago.Now he still riding regularly with his friends in the afternoon.When he was asked why still single, he answered with a smile " I spend too much time in cycling,no time to think about marriage" We bid farewell when his workers turn up to start the workshop business. I hit the road by 9.30am on a busy highway 1 and all the way to Mae Sai.The weather is good on a rather flat road,missing are all the mountains,but still with a few not so steep slopes to warm-up.Mae Sai looks more vibrant nowaday than I last visited 12 years ago,more shops,more hotels and of course more people, the advantage of being the border town.I rode right up to the Thai immigration where a bridge crossing over the Mae Sai river to Myanmar. I had no intention to spend the 10 usd just for the sake of stepping into this unfriendly country.I saw many shops here with mandarin characters ,so I went to a Yunnan restaurant to try the "bridge crossing mee hun " for 70 baht. Disappointed as my brother's friend here did not call me, no free stay,so I went looking for stay. Tom's guest house came to the rescue for 150 baht, with a room where you carry your bags down stair and then up again on a spiral staircase.Tomorrow will head east to the Golden Triangle!

On busy Highway 1 to Mae Sai



Scenic stop


Welcome to Mae sai



Why only women?


Can't remember which King is he?


Too beautiful not to take a shot


Rode in to Mae Sai


Kong Meng Foudation Temple


Thai border post


Stalls on the Thai side


A small river less than 20 ft separate the 2 countries


Half of the bridge boundary line indicated by flags





Yunnan Restaurant


"Bridge crossing Mee Hun" for 70 baht

Downstairs and up on a spiral ladder to my room


150 baht with the bathroom back of canera

3 comments:

ass34234 said...

not many words today :) have a nice trip!

Anonymous said...

Brater Meng,
Great! You must have the "Lucky Star" shining at you. Bravo Meng! Continue to upload more photo as it is very informative. Have a Safe Journey!
TTK.

Anonymous said...

Hi Meng,
Yah, great! Still alive and pedalling, and Thailand is almost done. Having only camped once, is it too troublesome cos boarding is cheap in Thailand?
Ride on Meng...
Chong5