Sunday, August 29, 2010

Day 62 Sat 28/08 - Xam Neua Bus to Thanh Hoa ( Vietnam)

Today Weather : 20 - 28C   Rain all Day
Today Spending : 230000k + 160000vnd

The weather continues to be bad and raining non stop, everywhere seems to be flooded with water. left with no choice but to take a bus again crossing to Vietnam via the Nam Soi/ Nameo international border. The bus ticket cost 180000k. After buying the ticket while unloading my panniers from the bike, the vietnamese bus helper approached me in good English" Hallo, you need to buy another ticket for your bicycle" " What?" started to realise now I am no more dealing with the friendly Lao people but the cunning Vietnamese " Sorry I don't have enough money to but another ticket, I can only give you 30000k, take it or I refund my ticket?" The bus driver and helper were undecided trying to ignore my offer, but I was damn serious about it and went straight to the counter. My seriousness took them by surprise, before I took out the ticket, the helper calls me back and finally settled with 40000k.Bloody sucker!!!! A really bad impression on Vietnam even before you step into the country.At the border, no problem luckily but my luggage was 100% checked at the Vietnam custom before they put down an entry stamp of 30 days ( 27 Sept ). The Vietnamese custom officer even asked me to exchange to Dong from my leftover Kip. 10000k for 20000vnd. I am not sure the exchange rate for Rm, but based on the above Rm 1 = 5000vnd. Can someone help me with more information. Arrived in Thanh Hoa by 7pm , almost 12 hour journey having started 7.30am,dark and raining ,hard time to look around for resonable guest houses. Settled in one hotel , a bit more expensive at 140000vnd ( Rm 28 ) . A big room with aircon and cable tv, most important is now a hot shower,cos' 3 days hasn't been bathed. Lying on the comfort bed , my mind kept pondering " What's next from here?" Frankly I really don't know. It has been raining day and night non stop even at this hour of writing this journal 11.30pm, outside is still raining heavily...
Hyundai Van to Thanh Hoe
Vietnam custom border
For rememberance
The road between the two countries
Stop at Nameo town for lunch

Arriving at the Namsoi Lao custom


Road condition not any better


River overflowing with continuous rain


Truck skipped and landed side way  into the water


First hotel room in Thanh Hoa , Vietnam 140000vnd





No comments: